Let Us Help You Find the Best Indoor Outdoor Basketball After 2015
Indoor and outdoor basketballs are very different, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t great, indoor/outdoor basketballs on the market. We’ve had the distinct pleasure of playing with a few awesome basketballs, and we made note of the absolute best ones for this review guide.
Spalding NBA Zi/O Indoor/Outdoor Basketball
Our favorite for 2017
Under Armour 395 Indoor/Outdoor Basketball
A great value option
Spalding Rookie Gear Basketball
High performance composite leather basketball
There’s a lot that goes into finding the perfect ball for your needs, and this includes:
- Material: The right material will make play more comfortable, and it’s going to play a major role in the price of the ball, too. Leather is what the pros use, but composite leather works well and costs much less. For pure outdoor usage, you may want to choose a rubber ball that is more rugged, and can perform well on concrete and paved surfaces.
- Texture and Grip: No one thinks hard and long about their basketball’s texture, but they ought to be thinking about it. The texture will play a role in how well you can grip and control the ball. A hard pass from a smooth ball may fall right out of your hands, so a pebbled texture will do the trick.
- Bladders: A lot of balls have bladders, but they don’t promote it much. Bladders are very important because this is what will help the ball retain its air. A good bladder will keep the ball inflated for months or years without losing “much” air. It’s inevitable that some air will escape from the ball’s bladder over time.
If you keep these three points in mind when choosing your basketball, you’ll be better suited to buy a ball that meets your needs.
Reviews of the Best Basketball Ball on the Market
Spalding NBA Indoor/Outdoor Replica Game Ball – Spalding offers a replica game ball, and this ball is a lot like the balls you’ll see the pros using. But this ball is extremely attainable and it’s a solid choice. Consumers can also purchase an official size ball (29.5”) or an intermedia size ball (28.5”).
Official size and weight metrics allow for a “real feel” when playing.
Designed for indoor and outdoor use, this ball utilizes a premium composite cover that reduces slippage and enhances your game. The ball does come inflated, but you’ll want to keep a pump around if you plan on using it over the long-term.
Spalding NBA Zi/O Indoor/Outdoor Basketball – The Spalding NBA Zi/O is the right choice for indoor and outdoor usage. And as a mid range item, it’s one of the best basketballs you can buy. This official size ball is offered in regulation size 7, and it also boasts the official NBA ball weight.
The exterior of the ball is covered with a composite leather that feels like a natural ball.
And there is a full pebbling on the ball that allows for a tacky feel. The full pebble allows for the utmost in control and grip during play. This is a great overall ball for anyone who wants the real feel of a regulation ball when playing outdoors.
Spalding Rookie Gear Indoor/Outdoor Composite – If you’re an adult, pass this ball up, as it won’t be sized for you. But if you have kids or younger players that want to hit the court, this is the perfect ball. Multi-colored, this basketball is size 27.5,” which is the regulation size for youth players.
And the ball also weighs 25% less than a normal youth ball, allowing smaller users to be able to play.
Featuring composite leather, this ball is ideal for kids 8 and under, and is a very affordable option. If your kids need a confidence boost or are just starting to play basketball, the Rookie Gear is the only option.
Under Armour 495 Indoor/Outdoor Basketball – The 495 is an indoor/outdoor ball, and while it may be more high-end than other models on our list, it’s still one of the best money can buy. This model features a patented Gripskin that allows for superior handling and ball control on the court.
Pebbling featuring deep channels is offered that further adds to the comfort and control of the ball.
The built-in butyl bladder keeps air from escaping out of the ball, and the 80% nylon windings ensure that the ball can maintain its shape. A tack composite is featured on the exterior of the ball for further control. This ball is also offered in sizes: 5- 7.
Under Armour 395 Indoor/Outdoor Basketball – The final indoor/outdoor basketball on our list is the Under Armour 395. This is a great ball if you can’t afford the 495, and the differences aren’t that extreme. This model also includes the Gripskin texture as well as the full pebbling that allows it to offer unsurpassed control.
And the major differences come from the 70% nylon windings.
You’ll be losing 10% windings, which isn’t too much of a concern, but it will hold less of its shape retention as a result. This ball is offered in sizes 5- 7, and is low to mid-range item.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Basketball for Outdoor and Indoor Use
We covered a few key points earlier in the article that will help you choose a basketball that is right for your playstyle. But you may have a few other questions and concerns after reading through our reviews, and this is normal.
Unless you’re an avid fan or player, you may not know what you really need in a basketball.
A few of the questions that we’re going to cover can help you choose the right basketball quickly and easily.
- Size: Many people don’t know that there are a lot of different basketball sizes. If you’re choosing a ball for a teen or adult, it’s common to choose the regulation size that is used in the NBA. This would be a size 7, and it spans 29.5”. The slightly younger crowd, over 8 but not quite a teen, will do well with an intermediate ball (size 6). Finally, youth balls are a size 5 and they’re meant for kids 8 and under.
- Budget: Basketballs aren’t all that expensive, but you’ll also need to budget for a good pump to be able to keep the basketball inflated at all times. If you don’t buy a pump, you can expect to pay a reasonable amount for a quality ball.
- Reviews: It should go without saying, but you want to read reviews of the basketball you’re considering. When you read reviews, you’re gaining insight into the product. Look for any common complaints, and see what the majority of people are saying before spending your hard-earned money.