Let Us Help You Find the Best Portable Basketball System On the Market
Whether you play mostly at home or occasionally take the game to the local park, a portable basketball hoop allows you to play whenever you want without having to permanently install a hoop system.
Lifetime 1221 Pro Court Height Adjustable Portable Basketball System
Our favorite for 2017
Lifetime 90040 Height Adjustable Portable Basketball System
A great value option
Spalding NBA “The Beast” Portable Basketball System – 60″ Glass Backboard
Heavy-duly basketball hoop system
If this is your first time buying a portable basketball hoop, you may not know what to look for when comparing models. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Base Size: Portable hoops have large bases that can be filled with water or sand to keep it in place. Typically measured in gallons, the larger the base, the more stability – and typically the larger the hoop. The base should have wheels, too, for even easier portability.
- Backboard Material: If you’re worried about the backboard shattering, look for models that use acrylic or polycarbonate. A shatterproof backboard may be the best choice if you have children using the hoop, but if you want a more professional-style game, a glass backboard may be the better option.
- User Reviews: Don’t forget to check user reviews of the hoop before buying. Some hoops are more durable than others, and some are easier to transport than others. By scouring user reviews, you’re far more likely to settle on a hoop with few flaws (if any).
We know how challenging it can be to find the right portable basketball hoop for your family. We’ve done most of the hard work for you by selecting and reviewing five top models on the market today. Use the tips above to help you compare these models.
Best Portable Basketball Hoops Reviews for 2017
Lifetime 1221 Pro – Looking for a portable basketball hoop that’s virtually indestructible? The Lifetime 1221 Pro is a great choice. With a 44” impact backboard, this hoop is nearly unbreakable.
Smart in design, this hoop features a 27-gallon base that easily fills with water or sand. The included wheels allow you to roll the hoop to your desired location.
A telescoping mechanism is included, so you can adjust the height to your desired level between 7.5 and 10 feet. The height can be adjusted in 6-inch increments, so you can truly find the right level for your needs.
With 1/2” steel braces and an 18” black solid steel rim, this basketball hoop is designed to withstand even the harshest of weather conditions.
The Lifetime 1221 Pro is one of the best basketball goals on the market, and it’s built to last.
Lifetime 52 Inch Portable Basketball Hoop System – The Lifetime 52” portable hoop system is a bit more high-end than our previous pick, but it comes with a built-in pneumatic Power Lift system that allows you to quickly and easily adjust the height between 7.5 and 10 feet.
The 35-gallon base can be filled up with sand or water to keep the hoop in place no matter the weather conditions. And the rust-resistant, powder-coated finish allows this model to last through even the toughest of weather conditions.
The solid steel rim features double-compression springs that produce a spring-back action. The 52” backboard is made of polycarbonate, so it’s completely shatterproof.
Lifetime 90040 – The 90040 from Lifetime is a bit more affordable than the previous pick, and while it doesn’t have the pneumatic lift system the previous model has, its backboard is virtually indestructible and the height is still adjustable.
The hoop’s 44” backboard is made with high density polyethylene for extreme durability and strength. The built-in telescoping mechanism allows you to adjust the height of the hoop between 7.5 and 10 feet in 6” increments.
The portable, 27-gallon base can easily be filled with sand or water to keep it in place while you play. The round pole comes in three pieces and attaches to the base, which also has wheels for easy movement.
The 90040 comes with a classic nylon net, which is ideal for indoor or outdoor use.
Spalding NBA “The Beast” – “The Beast” is a fitting name for this Spalding NBA basketball hoop, which is the most luxourious hoop on our list and designed for serious players. This portable hoop system can adjust in height between 7.5 and 10 feet, and the heavy-duty, 50-gallon base can be filled with water or sand for extra stability.
The gray inset cover included in the base of the stand makes it easy to move the hoop before you start playing, but it’s also a great re-bounder during play.
The hoop comes in two pieces and features a 5” square angled pole system. The screw-in base cap features a water level gauge base, so you can keep an eye on water levels.
The Beast comes with a 60” glass backboard and a weather-resistant white net.
Spalding NBA Portable Basketball System – The Spalding NBA portable hoop system features a 40-gallon base that can be filled with water or sand and a 54” acrylic backboard that’s highly durable. The heavy-duty, 3.5” steel frame ensures that this hoop will give you years of use, and the Arena Slam breakaway rim allows for professional play.
A Screw Jack lift allows you to quickly and easily adjust the height of this hoop between 7.5 and 10 feet. Like the Lifetime 90040 hoop, this model comes in three pieces.
And just like The Beast hoop, this hoop comes with a front cover that acts as a rebounder during play.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose Best Basketball Hoop for You
- Rim Type: The hoop’s rim may be the last thing on your mind, but it plays an important role in the gameplay experience. Some models have steel rims, while others have specially-designed rims that spring back when dunking. Decide what type of rim suits your playstyle.
- Adjustable Height Mechanism: Portable hoops generally have adjustable heights, which can be changed either using a lift system, or manually. Hoops with lift (or assisted) systems are generally more expensive, but much easier to adjust. Manual adjustment systems are more affordable and can generally be moved up or down in six-inch increments. Also, you want to consider the height range. Most offer adjustments between 7.5 and 10 feet.
- Size: People also tend to forget the importance of the hoop’s size. Some models, like The Beast are huge, but that particular model is also designed for serious players. Other hoops are great for driveway use or even in parks. But no matter your use or skill level, you’ll still need to make sure that you have the space for the hoop you want.
- Price: Finally, consider the price of the portable hoop. The models on our list vary greatly in range, with the most affordable model being significantly more attainable than the most high-end item on our list. While it’s important to set a budget, it’s more important to consider the features and the durability of the hoop above all else.