Our Pick Of The Best Balancing Scooters On The Market
Balance scooters are a ton of fun. These scooters allow riders to go over a variety of terrain, cover a lot of ground quickly and completely change the way people “think” about transport. Kids and adults can be seen riding their two wheel boards across the world.
Segway miniPRO smart Self Balancing Personal Transporter with Mobile App Control
Our favorite for 2017
Powerboard by HOVERBOARD
A very close runner-up
EPIKGO Premier Series Electrical Self Balance Board
A fantastic scooter
When trying to compare models, it’s important to know what to look for. Some of the most important things include:
- Speed: The top speed is important, and speeds range from 6 – 10 MPH in most cases. Faster speeds allow users to cover more ground faster, but there’s an inherent risk of injury when riding too fast – keep this in mind if purchasing for a younger child.
- Range: The range indicates how long the unit will operate before needing to be recharged. The longer the range, the better. Short ranges require a user to recharge often and take the fun out of owning a scooter.
- Lighting and Security: Scooters can be dangerous, and it’s important that the manufacturer includes safety features into their design. Anti-skid is a good choice, but lighting is even more important. Lighting can keep a person from getting into an accident and seriously hurting themselves.
- Apps and Anti-theft: Apps are a novelty, but when they control the anti-theft mechanism, they’re priceless. Anti-theft mechanisms allow users to have a safeguard when storing their scooter so that if it’s stolen, the thief won’t get far because the anti-theft system will render the scooter inoperable.
Balance scooters are a great way to get out of the house and have fun. We’ve had the privilege of researching and reviewing several scooters to find the best on the market for our readers.
Reviews of the Best Balance Board Scooter
Segway miniPRO Smart Self Balancing Personal Transporter – Segway’s miniPRO is an advanced, two-wheel board scooter that offers a 200-pound payload, durable magnesium frame and 10.5″ tires to get over difficult terrain with ease. Appropriate for people ages 16 – 60, this is one of the safest personal transporter models on the market.
Mobile app control is available through the built-in system.
LED safety lights are incorporated into the design as well as an anti-theft security system. Road adaptive engineering allows the unit to maximize traction and minimize skidding. A knee bar allows for optimal control and easy movement with an adjustable height.
Maximum mile range is 14 and maximum speeds are 10 MPH.
Powerboard by HOVERBOARD – UL 2272 Certified – Hoverboard’s Powerboard comes in four unique color options: black, blue, red and white. UL 2272 certified, this two wheel hoverboard is guaranteed not to overheat, smoke or catch fire. Designed and manufactured in the United States, this model has a top speed of 10 kmh.
Lean forward or backward to operate as the unit propels the user forward.
An LED indicator light displays the current battery level of the hoverboard. The tires are made entirely of rubber and are airless, so users never need worry about tires being punctured and leaving the user stranded.
High output LED lights illuminate the rider’s path, allowing for greater visibility and added protection for the rider.
EPIKGO Premier Series Hover Self Balancing Board Scooter – EPIKGO offers a premier series hover board scooter that’s UL2272 certified and also offers a UL2271 certification on the battery. Thoroughly tested, this model underwent 159 tests to ensure quality, safety and durability.
A 400W dual motor is incorporated into the scooter with enough power to go up 30-degree slopes.
The range of this scooter is 12 miles with a maximum speed of 10 miles per hour. Recharging time is 1 – 2 hours, depending on the state of the battery. Riders can listen to Bluetooth during their tip thanks to the 10w Bluetooth speakers provided.
All-terrain tires allow this scooter to work over grass, dirt, sand and pavement effortlessly.
Skque – UL2272 (MAX 220 lbs) Self Balancing Scooter – The Skque is another UL2272 certified hoverboard, and it’s available in a variety of colors. Redesigned to ensure 100% safety, this model includes an improved motherboard with gyro sensors, allowing for a smoother ride.
The chassis has been enhanced to add further strength and durability to the scooter.
Wireless Bluetooth speakers allow riders to ride the scooter in style while listening to their favorite music along the way. Bright, built-in LED lights illuminate the rider’s path and allow for added safety in low light conditions.
Maximum speeds are 6.2 – 7.4 MPH with a distance of 9.3 – 12.4 miles. Battery charging time is 3 – 5 hours.
SWAGTRON T1 – UL 2272 Certified Electric Self-Balancing Scooter – The SWAGTRON T1 is offered in five colors, and users up to 220 pounds can ride the scooter comfortably. The unit’s top speed is 8 MPH while the range is 11 miles. UL 2272 certified, this model won’t catch fire and meets stringent safety standards.
LED headlights keep the user safe at night and allow for optimal viewing distance when riding.
Rubber bumpers keep the unit from breaking while a battery indicator alerts users as to when they need to recharge their battery. A 250W motor powers the scooter, while the gear stabilization system allows for better downhill traction and tighter controls when taking turns.
Buyer’s Guide – How To Choose The Best Segway For You
Whether you call them Segways or two wheel scooters, these are fun devices that are akin to kids riding their bicycles in the 50s. Electronic, these scooters offer ample speeds and great battery capacity to allow users to go for miles without needing to recharge.
Perfect for neighborhoods and shorter distance, these scooters are much safer than even a year ago, and they come equipped with high-end features.
When trying to choose the best scooter for you, there are a few things to consider that are easily overlooked:
- Maximum Payload: How much weight can the scooter hold? Most models don’t have an issue holding children, but when a person reaches near the 200 pound mark, this is when it’s time to see how much weight the scooter is designed to accommodate.
- Tire Type and Size: If you plan to ride on flat pavement, there’s little need to worry about the tire size and type. But an issue arises when you want to go over rough terrain or rocks, and small tires get stuck or get punctured. Tires made entirely of rubber eliminate puncture risks.
- Certification: The certification that a unit has, often the UL2272, provides peace of mind in knowing that the scooter will not catch fire and lead to serious injury. When these scooters first hit the mass market, they were catching fire and posing serious risks to all riders.
There’s a scooter available that meets your needs and weight requirements – it may even be listed above. Just make sure to do your own research and see what others are saying before making a purchase.