How to Choose the Best One Person Kayak After 2017
A small sit-on-top kayak offers freedom to enjoy the open water. When you’re restrained through your kayak, you don’t get to enjoy the true pleasure of being on the water. Kayaks have changed for the better, and it’s time for you to find a one-person kayak for yourself.
Intex Challenger K1 Kayak
Our favorite for 2017
Sevylor Quikpak K1 1-Person Kayak
A very close runner-up
AIRHEAD AHTK-1 Montana Performance 1 Person Kayak
With a massive 500 pounds weight capacity
The question is: which model do you choose?
There are a lot of models on the market today, and we’ve had the pleasure of researching and reviewing them all.
A few key points to keep in mind when making your choice are:
- Extras: If you’re a seasoned kayaker, you probably own an oar and a pump, but if you’re not, you’ll want to consider all the extras that are provided. These extras will save you a lot of money in the long-term, and they’ll be necessary to your performance on the open water.
- Storage: When you need to bring gear along, it’s pertinent to have a place to store all your items. A storage pocket or even D-rings can help secure items to your kayak so that you can bring all your essentials with you on the ride.
- Tracking Fin: The usefulness of a tracking fin cannot be ignored. This is a fin that allows for better tracking in the water and more agility. Most units come with a fin of some form, and those that don’t are best suited for new users just trying out kayaking for fun.
These three features can mean the difference between a good and great kayak.
Reviews of the Best Single Person Kayaks
Intex Challenger K1 Kayak Review – The Intex Challenger K1 is a one-person kayak that comes with a set of aluminum oars and even has its own high output pump to inflate your kayak. This model is ideal for the entry-level kayaker, and it’s nimble in the water, too.
Welded material and graphics make this a great kayak for a lake, but it can be used on a mild river.
The cockpit is comfortable, and there is a cargo net included to store your gear. The backrest is inflatable, too. A repair patch and hand pump are included, and this 27.2-pound model can fit users that weigh 220 pounds.
The dimensions are 30” (W) x 15” (H) x 108” (D).
AIRHEAD AHTK-1 Montana Review – The AIRHEAD is a performance model, and this model was designed to be used in moderate white waters and still water. There are three air chambers present, and users are protected from leaks thanks to the 840-denier nylon.
Lightweight and portable, this model has water-resistant coating and also has UV protection to ensure a long lifespan.
Four bottom fins offer superior tracking in the water, and there is a low drag. The weight of this model is 27.7 pounds, and uses of up to 300 pounds can use this kayak safely. The length of the unit is 9-feet, and there are two Boston valves for quick inflation and deflation.
Advanced Elements FireFly Inflatable Kayak Review – The FireFly is an inflatable kayak built with rigid panels that define the bow and stern to allow for improved tracking in the water. An outer cover protects the unit, and there are two valves that allow for a quick setup.
A landing plate allows for quick performance, while the tracking fin provides agility in the water.
Yellow and blue in color, this model weighs 16 pounds and can hold users up to 250 pounds. Mesh pockets are offered, and there is bungee lacing to secure the kayak in the water. Rubber molded handles are present as well as a splash diverter to keep water out of the kayak when in use.
Coleman Quikpak K1 1-Person Kayak Review – The Coleman Quikpak K1 is one of the easiest models to setup – just 5 minutes – and the backpack turns into a seat. This model is manufactured with 21-gauge PVC construction, and its rugged construction is meant for lake usage.
The bottom of the kayak is made from tarpaulin, and this is a material that protects the kayak from punctures.
Multiple air chambers are present to allow the kayak to stay afloat even if one chamber is punctured. The Airtight System guarantees that the kayak won’t leak, and there are Double Lock valves that make inflation and deflation quick and easy.
The Quikpak weighs 20 pounds and has a maximum weight capacity of 400 pounds.
Sun Dolphin Bali SS 10-Foot Sit-on top Kayak Review – The Bali SS is a 10-foot sit-on kayak that comes in six unique colors, and is meant for rugged use. There is a portable accessory carrier that can be used for extra storage and can be towed behind if needed.
A dry storage compartment is present with a shock cord deck.
Thigh pads make the seating comfortable, while adjustable foot braces allow for a customized fit. A paddle holder is placed in a convenient location, and the unit is 40 pounds. Ideal for rivers, this kayak can hold users up to 250 pounds.
A paddle is not included with his kayak.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Right Single Kayak for You
If you’re like most people, you’ve probably been looking at a lot of sit on kayak reviews trying to figure out which model to buy. There are a few points you can consider that will make the buying process easier:
- Water Type: Some kayaks can only be used on still water, so you can forget going on rivers or white water The general rule of thumb is that cheaper models don’t have the same level of durability to be able to withstand rough waters.
- Maximum Weight: The maximum weight is another metric to pay close attention to when making your choice. Some users are larger, and others want to bring their dogs or larger equipment with them kayaking, which adds to the overall weight when in the water.
- Air Chambers: The addition of multiple air chambers is a good thing. These chambers stop potential leaks from being a disaster. The hope is that even if one chamber has a leak, the others will last long enough for a person to kayak to safety.
- Reviews: Never underestimate the importance of reviews especially when you’ll be out on the water, which is always a risk. Look at the questions and complaints people have to determine which kayak is a good or bad fit.
If you keep all this information in mind as well as the information above, you’ll be able to find a kayak that can meet your needs perfectly.